By challenging ourselves to reduce our use of electricity and all that goes with it, we loosen one more knot of dependence. And there may come a time when electricity is simply not available.
It would be easy to bring generators and fridges, but then what would we learn?
Here we call for those who are clued up in generating power to offer talks on how to generate off-grid power at home.
Any help with the power needs of the Festival will be most appreciated.
What we need power for:
Lighting the village at night, the sound system, charging radios/phones/cameras, power tools, and ways to keep food cool.
- Pedal power, Solar panels, Wind turbine, Water turbine, Biodiesel gennie
- Clay pot cooler, hessian fridge, gas cooker, solar lights
Power for Learning Man 2015 was supplied by:
- A 12 panel solar rig from MLT Power – Mathias Weber
- Extra panels and batteries from Allan Harvey for the recharging station
- Biodiesel for back up generator from Biogreen
- A workshop on building a Compost-heated water system – by Simon Hazel
- A solar-powered cooking oven – Crosby Menzies
- A water turbine and a donkey boiler for the showers is a feature of our off-grid venue – Jongenskloof Country Retreat